Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Tostadas Mazatlán

These tostadas have absolutely nothing to do with Mazatlán, it just so happens I lived there for 6 months and these tostadas needed a name. My parents came over to stay for a night and I asked them what they were interested in eating for dinner. My mom said "remember that black bean mango thing you made that time?" I did not, but I whipped this up, and I think everyone was happy with it. I know Jon and I loved it, but you know when guests come they pretty much have to say they love what you make*. I know I'll be making it again someday, sooner if I wasn't such a weirdo who insisted upon eating recipes I've never made before all the time.

*for some reason vegan mac n' cheese does not fall into this category.

Tostadas Mazatlán

Spicy Tropical Tostada

2 jalapenos, diced finely
2 red peppers, 1/2 inch dice
1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice (2-4 limes)
1/2 red onion, diced very finely
2 tsp cumin
1.5-2 cups mango, diced small
2 cups cilantro, chopped
2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
8-10 flour tortillas (I chose Chili infused tortillas)

Wash and dry your cilantro (in a salad spinner or with paper towels). Chop. Put in a large bowl. Open your cans of black beans, drain and rinse. Peel and dice your mango (or, if using frozen mango, thaw in the microwave until not frozen but not hot and dice) and add to the bowl. Peel and dice your onion, and dice your red peppers and jalapenos and add to the bowl. Slice 2 limes in half and juice (you may need a 3rd or even a 4th depending on how juicy your limes are), and add 1/4 cup of the juice to the bowl. Add the cumin and cayenne pepper, and toss all the ingredients to mix. Salt lightly to taste. Mix again. Let the mixture sit for a few minutes as the flavors will strengthen a little with time. While those flavors are melding, put your flour tortillas in the toaster oven and toast - watch it though because you want it to get stiff and crisp, not burned. Once your tortilla is stiff and slightly crisp remove and do the same with the remaining tortillas.

Place about a cup of the mixture onto a toasted tortilla and serve.